The CPMR’s Balkan and Black Sea Commission (BBSC) will take part in the 9th International Black Sea Symposium on ‘Blue Growth as a driver for regional development’, in Athens, Greece, from 20 to 21 March 2018.
The International Black Sea Symposium (IBSS), organised by the International Centre for Black Sea Studies (ICBSS), brings together the next generation of stakeholders with an interest in the Black Sea area, focusing on blue growth.
Blue growth is a long-term strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth related to the marine and maritime sectors. Encompassing a wide spectrum of diverse maritime activities, blue economy contributes to the creation of favourable conditions for economic growth, sustainable development and social welfare.
In recent years, aiming to promote an integrated Maritime Policy, the EU has increased efforts to enable the adoption of a concrete framework for the implementation of blue economy, also targeting the Black Sea sea-basin.
The concept of Blue Growth is important for the Black Sea countries, as it addresses the significant potential of the wider region that remains untapped.
As a result, the IBSS offers a platform for dialogue among stakeholders in order to identify the challenges, opportunities for, and best practices on sustainable blue growth in the Black Sea basin, and to stimulate synergies at intraregional and interregional levels.
Special emphasis will be placed on the following:
- Supporting entrepreneurship and increasing competitiveness: opportunities and challenges for investments, innovative business ideas, youth entrepreneurship and capacity building.
- Research and Innovation: entrepreneurial exposure to university research, increasing the role of private sector in research funding and exploitation of results, smart infrastructures.
- Increased knowledge and mitigation measures: sustainable exploitation of marine resources, impacts on the marine environment, marine biotechnologies and food security.
- Coordinated maritime governance: challenges and perspectives for regional cooperation, inter-regional synergies, institutional approach and best practices.
- Through interactive sessions, speakers and participants with acute interest in or involved with blue growth will have the opportunity to discuss, interact and network with fellow stakeholders from the wider Black Sea region.
Find out more here > http://icbss.org/index.php?pid=990